- w/ Oneacre.online
The workshop would look into how "to write" online terrains (websites, apps, packages, libraries) into existence that "feel"/ "browse" like a home-cooked meal. Made at home, with little to no interest in scaling up, professionalising or transitioning to commercial spaces, jacks of one trade, that can name every visitor by first name.
By focusing on the parallels between writing and programming, we would like to look into the creation and maintenance of informal online places that exist away from centralised social or anti-social networks. Kindling an appreciation for making and hosting such online terrains that echo the freedom and reward of a notebook, that allows to think through ideas and experiment, change your mind, adapt or discard as you go along.
Practically the workshop will introduce version control systems and the dat/hypercore protocol. Particularly the possibilities of peer-to-peer building, hosting and deployment for websites, apps and libraries. The workshop will also touch upon maintaining, keeping up to date, archiving, and passing along the torch of a project you are no longer interested in maintaining.
If you would like to participate please install beaker browser (Beaker 1.0, Beta 5 : https://beakerbrowser.com/2020/06/19/beaker-1-0-beta-5.html ) choose and read one of the following texts prior to the workshop (If you can't find access to a text please write an email to oneacre.online@gmail and we can provide you with a copy).
This workshop owes gratitude to : Olivia McKayla Ross, Robin Sloan, Laurel Schwulst, Ursula K. Le Guin, Taeyoon Choi, PRESS PRESS and the communities developing and maintaining dat and hypercore protocols.
- On Work Kahlil Gibran
- "The Palace" Kaveh Akbar
- Net-munity, or The Space between Us … Will Open the Future by Wendy Hui Kyong Chun
- Literal Programming by Donald Knuth
- My website is a shifting house next to a river of knowledge. What could yours be? by Laurel Schwulst
- "Devil Girl From Mars": Why I Write Science Fiction by Octavia Butler & The Value of Literacy Octavia Butler and Samuel Delany in conversation
- How to Write Non-Violent Creative Code by Olivia McKayla Ross
- Is Gender Necessary ? Redux by Ursula K. Le Guin
- Resource One in Broad Band: The Untold Story of the Women Who Made the Internet by Claire E. Evans
- An app can be a home-cooked meal by Robin Sloan
Photo by George Knegtel. Courtesy of oneacre.online
oneacre.online is an experimental publishing & distribution project that utilises an online platform to seed unprintable text-based works by emerging artists. Made in The Hague,NL by Stef Kors, Titus Knegtel, Victoria Douka-Doukopoulou and contributing authors with the kind support of Creative Industries Fund NL and Stroom Den Haag.